Research Station Station de Recherche Forschungsstation

Petite Camargue Alsacienne

home

history

people

research

nightingale

publications

teaching

gallery

contact

Petite
Camargue
Alsacienne

français

deutsch

The Research Station Petite Camargue Alsacienne is situated in the ancient buildings of the “Imperial Pisciculture of Huningue” that was founded by Prof. Jean Victor Coste in the flood plain of the river Rhine in 1852. In those times, the fish farm was used to breed fish for reintroduction into the streams of Europe and overseas. Nowadays, the fish farm still produces salmons for reintroduction into the Rhine. In the buildings of the Pisciculture, there is also the administration of the nature reserve Petite Camargue Alsacienne that was founded in 1982. Following an extension of the protected area in 2006, the nature reserve now covers over 9 square kilometres. To secure the buildings and some unprotected areas, a cross-border conservation association was founded in 1988. At the same time, the Swiss group of participants decided to establish a research association called “Swiss Association Pro Petite Camargue Alsacienne” whose first president was Dr. Hartmann P. Koechlin. This private foundation afforded the installation of a Research Station that was affiliated with the University of Basel under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Heinz Durrer.

The Imperial Pisciculture of Huningue in 1862 (A.D.H.R.)

The Swiss Association Pro Petite Camargue Alsacienne

Honorary President:
Dr. Hartmann P. Koechlin

President:
Helmut Hersberger

Treasury:
Elisabeth Ackermann

Accounting:
Philippe Jan

Members:
Prof. Dr. Markus Affolter
Prof. Dr. Heinz Durrer
Markus Ritter
Dr. Peter Schai
Dr. Andreas Sturm
Dr. Heinrich A. Vischer